Wednesday 22 January 2014

Vasundhara Das: Believe in yourself

 According to me, education has a lot more to do with learning from life than from the classroom. I have learned more outside the classroom




In conversation with Vasundhara Das...


On school life
School life has not contributed much to my musical life. In those times, when I was in school, the education system did not encourage arts. Academics were considered as the end of everything. People thought that music cannot be opted as a career. Most of the parents were prejudiced about music and had an attitude that it cannot be taken as a profession, but my parents were an exception. At the age of 5, I started learning Hindustani music. I got intensive music education because my parents were very keen on making me learn music.

On college life
College contributed a great deal to my musical career. I was clear about going to that particular college (Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru) because that college had a good music association. I knew that the college would nurture my musical career.

I still remember the day when my Mom took me to the Engineering counselling. I was standing in the queue. When it was just two turns for my interview, I seemed restless to my Mom. When she asked me the reason, I told her that I don’t want to be an engineer. What surprised me was my Mom’s reaction; she told me that I could have said it before and that there was no point in wasting our time. We left the spot. That is a distinct memory for me.

In the college, I was the member of a choral group. We had a Western Music Association. I got the exposure of performing at various inter-college competitions. I won in many of them, and that gave me a lot of confidence and helped prepare my future.  I was very clear about music; that was what I wanted to do as long as I was alive.

Memories
Too many. I really had a ball. I enjoyed college than school. My first stage performance ever in college was during my first-year PUC. About 4,000 girls in the auditorium are booing you, because you are a junior. I started singing the song I love You, by Whitney Houston. There was pin-drop silence, and, once I finished singing, there was a huge round of applause by the entire audience. That is a memorable moment for me.


Click : Lakshmi
Article first appeared in education Insider Magazine



No comments:

Post a Comment