Wednesday 22 January 2014

Naresh Iyer: Down memory lane

 Celebrated Singer Naresh Iyer’s memoir on his student life





In conversation with Naresh Iyer...

Memories of school
School life played a huge role in my life. Sera Ma’am, my class teacher in Fifth Grade, was the one who identified the singer in me. I did my first stage performance during the same time. The most memorable moment in school life was my first stage performance at the school annual competition where I came first. The song I sang was Kaali Raam Ka Bajgaya Dhol from the movie Barsat Ki Ek Raat. The applause and appreciation received mattered a lot to the 12-year-old kid. Even after years, that moment stays etched in my heart. I have won many prizes and awards, including the National Award and the Filmfare Award, but nothing can replace the joy I experienced when I was 12 years old – when I was recognised as the best singer in my school.

Memories of college
During my college days, I participated in various inter-college festivals in Mumbai. I was eliminated in one of the college festivals during my first-year graduation. Though I was depressed at that time, it was that which helped me develop my God-given talent. Thereafter, I didn’t have to look back. I won in almost all the competitions in which I participated.

Apart from music, sports was another field of interest during my college days. I have participated in inter-college table tennis tournaments and various other tournaments and have won prizes.

One of the proudest moments in my graduation days was when I came topper in the foundation course in my second year.

While recalling the memories during the graduation days, one incident that rushes to my mind is the embarrassing moment which I have had during a musical show when I sang O Jane Jana totally out of pitch because my colleague had accidently played a wrong note.  Though at that time I really felt awkward, now it has become a reason for giggles and laughter.
As a student, I always made sure not to mix my academics with my extracurricular activities, and I scored more than distinction in all my examinations. I can proudly say that I was a good student. Life as a student was indeed a learning ground for me, which instilled in me courage, confidence and helped me live an optimistic life.

PC: Cinemapluz.in
Article first appeared in the Education Insider magazine




No comments:

Post a Comment