Tuesday 21 January 2014

Mohsen Makhmalbaf: Prison of one idea' is worse than a prison


Mohsen Makhmalbaf is a major figure in Iranian cinema. A film director, writer, editor, and producer, he has always explored the relationship between an individual and his social and political environment. His work serves as an extended commentary on the historical progression of the Iranian state and its people. He has focussed on several genres, from realism, fantasy, surrealism, and  minimalism to large frescoes of everyday life, with a predilection for the themes of childhood and cinema, which, as a matter of fact, are areas of common interest to Iranian directors. In an interview with Education Insider, Makhmalbaf talks about the very foundation of his love for art, culture, and cinema


In conversation with Makhmalbaf...


About Indian art and culture 
I can compare Indian culture with any other country’s culture. You (Indians) have diversities. Different religions, different languages, and different cultures exist in a peaceful atmosphere. It is amazing. I compare it with my country. Now, think of countries where one religion controls other religions, one language kills other languages, and one dictator controls everything. In comparison, India stands out. Your diversity supports your democracy and it is very good. We need different colours. We need different ideas to create a perspective for mankind. This is the main reason why I love India. It’s about the different colours you people use in your dress and in your life. For me, these colours are more important than the harmonic colours that the Western countries use.


When it comes to art, you have energy for cinema. Over the past 100 years, how many films have you made? I think the majority of the films of the world are from India and that energy has not stopped.


In India, life and art are diversified. Yes, you have poverty, you have social problems. Which country is free from such problems? According to me, the art of India is the life of India; it is inseparable.


I think the influence of art is on individuals and the resulting effect is on society. Art influences by changing the viewer’s outlook. The change in outlook towards life also brings about amendments in behaviour. I think that humanity can still be guided to future through cinema. It is still possible (through cinema) to tell people that they need not be selfish and that they could enjoy life by sharing all that they have with others.


Influence of Indian cinema and audience 
Iranian cinema represents Iranian people. They are very realistic. Most Iranian movies focus on ordinary people's hopes, aspirations, and happiness. I learnt a great deal about these shades of life from the slumdwellers in India. During ’90s, I had visited Bombay. One fine day, while travelling in a car, I saw a group of slumdwellers dancing in the raining. I thought they were celebrating something. I witnessed a similar incident once again a few days later. This time, I approached them and asked them why they were dancing. None had a proper answer. But I got the answer I was looking for – for them, life was all about living in the moment. They taught me how to be more realistic. The legendary director of Indian cinema, Satyajit Ray, has also influenced me a lot.


Childhood and cinema
In my childhood, I hadn't seen films because of my grandmother’s influence. She told me, ‘God will punish you if you watch movies.’ I never even listened to music. I still remember that I used to shut my ears whenever I came across music. At the age of 17, I was imprisoned. It was only after I came out of prison that my mind became clearer. I realised that cinema was the best way to change culture. Actually, I started making cinema without any knowledge about cinema. But I had lots of stories to tell, especially since I spent all my childhood in another prison, under the pressure of ideology.


About moving out of Iran
I moved out of Iran eight years ago. I was a political prisoner for four-and-a-half years. During those days, I thought that Iran would change if a political prisoner became the Prime Minister or President. It happened, but nothing changed. Rather, the life of people became more miserable. I later realised that only if I moved out of Iran could I make real movies and narrate my stories to people. According to me, being in a prison of one idea could be worse than being in a prison.

About education in Iran
Iranian people are educated people. They have ideas, but are denied the opportunity to give shape to their ideas.

Article first appeared in 2013 January issue of Education insider magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment